Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Lit Classes

So I'm about three weeks into the semester and I think I have a  good measure of my classes now.

That said, I feel i should write about my lit classes this semester.  I'm not required to take lit classes, being a marketing major and all, but I loved the idea of reading awesome books/stories for homework.  So I signed up for two classes this semester.

The first class is a Fairy Tale lit class - analyzing fairy tales as pieces of literature.  I thought this class was going to be different due to previous lit classes, but we aren't really doing much background of the era these were formally written and whatnot so it's kind of a bummer.  The teacher focuses more on the placement of characters and their symbolism, not so much of their place in the society each was written in.  Considering the volume of stories we're reading, it's understandable, but still a bit of a bummer.  At least I've been required to buy a volume of classic Western fairy tales that many of us are familiar with.  This includes (but is definitely not limited to) Cinderella stories, Puss in Boots, and the Maiden without Hands, so I'll have a lot of stories to read.

My other class is a creative writing class focusing on the genres of Horror, Sci-Fi, and Fantasy.  This class I enjoy much more because I guess I've been wanting to test my creative writing skillz.  She's also a genre geek, which I can appreciate.  We're covering Clive Barker's Books of Blood at the moment, a book I've never heard of by an author I'd never heard of.  I'm pretty into Horror, a recent development, and this book has been more than satisfying my craving for the creeps.  I think I may actually improve my writing in this class (Shocking!!)

Hopefully this semester brings me some new skills when it comes to writing, I'd really like to be a better fiction writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment