Sunday, April 10, 2011

Books of Blood Vol 1-3 - Clive Barker

Clive Barker's Books of Blood have apparently been hailed as a standard in the genre of horror.  My creative writing class started out with his book of short stories to inspire us for our own short horror story.

The short stories are each separate in their own right.  The first story is titled "Books of Blood" which is sort of supposed to link all the others together, but each short can be read as its own complete story.  

Before reading this book, I was excited to be exploring the horror genre.  After reading this book though, I pretty much fell in love with the genre.  The story Rawhead Rex from the book for example - probably my favorite short in the whole book.  Typical monster attacking a town kind of story.

What did I like most about this book?  I think the range of different stories was the best thing.  There were horror stories that were less horror and more grim humor, or stories that were unsettling instead of horrific.  It kept me interested from story to story and kept me reading.  Definitely a must read - but NOT if you can't tolerate a little gore.  Or a lot of gore.

No comments:

Post a Comment